Posted by Miranda Caroligne Burns on 4th Oct 2014
Jeans are so durable, it only makes sense that they would make a great day-bag to throw your stuff in and head off on an adventure. This bag takes your every-day jeans and turns them upside down to make an over-the-shoulder bag with fly access.
This project is easy, requiring no cutting and very little hand or machine sewing. All you do is sew the waist shut, sew the cuffs together, turn it upside-down and there you have it: It's in the bag!
1. Prep. Wash and dry your jeans according to the label instructions, or gently wash and dry flat if there's no label.
2. Repair. Fix any tears, holes, and stains as needed.
3. Waist pinning. Lay your jeans flat with the front and back parts of the waistband at even heights. Pin the front center to the back center. Place pins diagonally at each corner and perpendicular to the edge every 1 inch.
4. Folding the cuffs. Fold each cuff so that the inseam and outside seam are just approximately centered.
5. Cuff pinning. Place one cuff inside the other, overlapping 2 inches. Arrange the seams just off-center to minimize the thicknesses of denim. Pin into place, with pins placed every 1 inch perpendicular to the cuff edge.
6. Sew, using the method below that matches your sewing method. The instructions depend highly on whether you are hand sewing or machine sewing. An overlock machine is not appropriate for this project.
Current Janome DealsReconstructing Clothes: What to Avoid Trying to FixBy Miranda Caroligne Burns from Reconstructing Clothes For DummiesIf you usually shop at regular stores, you may not be accustomed to checking for some flaws typically found in reused clothing. Don't buy second-hand clothes with the following issues, no matter how inexpensive the garment or lovely [...]
CLICK for Bargain Box SPECIALSGeneral Tips for Reconstructing ClothesBy Miranda Caroligne Burns from Reconstructing Clothes For DummiesLet these quick tips for starting to reconstruct your clothes help you avoid the downhill spiral of frustration while still allowing you creative license to do it your own way.Don't be afraid to cut itDo not be afraid to [...]
All prices are in AUD